S. Korea joins ICRC's major donor group for 1st time
简介South Korea has joined a key donor group of the International Committee of the Red Cross for the fir ...
South Korea has joined a key donor group of the International Committee of the Red Cross for the first time after making major contributions last year, the humanitarian organization said Sunday.
The country was recently included in the ICRC's 2023 Donor Support Group, which consists of donors contributing more than 10 million Swiss francs ($11 million) a year, after it contributed 10.5 million Swiss francs to the ICRC last year, according to the ICRC's office in Seoul.
Other than South Korea, the ICRC's major donor group for this year also includes 20 other countries, such as the United States, Germany and Switzerland, as well as the European Commission.
As a member of the donor group, South Korea will be able to take part in high-level talks with the ICRC on its policies and projects, raising expectations for Seoul's possible involvement in the ICRC's projects in North Korea.
Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, the ICRC operated an office with 11 personnel in Pyongyang for various humanitarian projects, such as those on health, sanitation, physical rehabilitation and demining efforts.
The organization has yet to send its personnel back to North Korea after it pulled them out after the reclusive country implemented strict border restrictions against the pandemic in early 2020. (Yonhap)
A 66-year-old taxi driver whose passenger jumped out of his moving taxi and was then killed after be ...
홍익표 더불어민주당 원내대표가 6일 오후 서울 여의도 국회에서 열린 제410회 국회(정기회) 제9차 본회의에서 통화를 하고 있다. 뉴스1홍익표 더불어민주당 원내대표는 8일 당내 친 ...
The basic fare for the subway in the Seoul metropolitan area has gone up by 150 won (US$0.11) to 1,4 ...
- 'Do not open plane doors' warning mandated for planes in flight
- S. Korean fencer Oh Sang
- Yoon appoints new defense, culture ministers without parliamentary confirmation
- S. Korean women dominate recurve archery at Asian Games
- Seoul anticipates 3
- Hamas surprise attack out of Gaza leaves hundreds dead in fighting, retaliation
- 오세훈, ‘TBS 폐지’ 묻자 “그런 일 생겨서는 안 돼”
- Supporters of Israel hold rally in Seoul, urge Hamas to stop atrocities
- Reeling from election loss, ruling party picks new leader posts
- Welcome Daehakro Festival lights up Seoul's stage hub
- MBK chairman makes donation to promote Korean art at New York's Met
- Beef prices have soared 100
- SC Bank Korea CEO nominated for fourth term
- 北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
- [Today’s K
- Hyundai Rotem to showcase new ground weapons systems at Seoul expo
- Seoul shares open higher on Fed's rate freeze
- Embracing setbacks: KAIST students vie for the inaugural 'worst failure' crown
- Open hatred of Jews surges globally, inflamed by Gaza war
- 北고려항공, 베이징으로 주 3회 비행…정기 운항 복귀 한 듯
- Paris Baguette inks sponsorship deal with Paris Saint
- Israeli military jets strike Gaza, says Hamas commander killed
- Supreme Court acquits ex
- 美 ICBM '미니트맨
- SPO and Lim Yun
- TVXQ to hold 20th
- Jungkook welcomes 'golden moment' of his life with 1st solo album
- S. Korean military detects signs of NK supplying ballistic missiles to Russia
- Iraqi Kurdistan officials visit Korea to glean procurement expertise
- Solo Korean trekker found dead in Himalayas
- PPP launches special committee on plan to include Gimpo into Seoul
- Asiana Airlines board to reconvene to vote on cargo biz sell
- Yangjae Flower Festa kicks off Friday
- English chatbot services to be available for public bike users
- KITA chief touts Ireland’s business
- [긴급진단] 서울 인구 이미 부산의 3배…지역균형발전 포기할 텐가